Cotton face mask
3-layer cotton mask, with nose wire and back-of-head strap/elastic.
These masks are designed to prevent the spread of droplets from the wearer to others. They are not medical grade, and are intended only for civilian use.
- 3 layers of woven, natural cotton fabric
- Folded shape fits a wide range of face sizes
- Wide centre panel shows off fabric design
- Substantial nose wire (10+ centimetres long) for close adjustment
- Great fit for glasses-wearers
- Behind-the-head straps are made of adjustable non-stretch tape or 5-6mm elastic (note that the tape option holds up better to laundering, and is safe for people with latex allergies)
- “Full beard” adjustment is available. This lets out the lower half of the mask to fit better. See the product pics for reference.
- All masks are made of 100% cotton fabric
- Thread may be polyester or cotton
- Behind-the-head straps may be made of polyester or cotton, depending on availability
- Behind-the-head elastic is made of polyester and latex rubber
- You should wear a fresh mask every time you go out, and wash them in between.
- Wash masks in a lingerie bag if you have one, to avoid losing them to the Laundry Trolls.
- Any cycle (hot or cold) with detergent will clean your mask well, but use a hot cycle if you want to be extra-sure about sterilisation. However note that the hot cycle may degrade elastic.
- Do not use chlorine bleach, as it will fade the design. You may use oxygen bleach (like Napisan) if desired.
- Ironing masks (on “cotton” setting, with steam) also helps with sterilisation and fit. Be careful not to iron elastic.
Repair and modification
- Elastic or woven tape can easily be replaced. You will need approx 1m of tape or 60cm of elastic. Use a safety pin to thread it through the channels on each side, then tie. You can use this adjustable sliding knot for tape.
- Some people find that the mask fits better without a wire. To remove it, unpick a few stitches at either end of the wire channel and work the wire out, then re-sew the gap.
- If the nose shaping wire degrades or breaks over time, it can be removed and replaced by unpicking a few stitches as described above and threading a new one in. You will need 12cm of wire and a small pair of needle nose pliers to bend the ends.
- To adjust a mask for a full beard, unpick the seams that hold the lower flap in place, and let it hang straight down. (I can also do this for you at the time of purchase, but who knows, perhaps you’ll grow a beard later!)
|Dimensions||25 × 20 × 1 cm|
No, Yes please!
Blue doodles, Light blue splotches, Red leaves, Autumn squiggles with metallic detail, Yuendumu bush plum, Purple circles, Purple leaves, Black triangles, Chilli pepper